Skip to main content

Woods and Deserts

 A dear friend of mine in Houston posted a photo of her daughter and friend walking either to or from school. At least that is what I assumed. It was a great picture of friendship shared between these two young teens. I recognized the path in the Woodlands. I’ve always loved the woods and that’s one of the many reasons why I loved living there. The massive trees, smell of bark, the rustling sound of fallen leaves and the warmth of the sun peeking through those shade covering trees. Nature is one of my favorite places to connect with God. I had many conversations with Him running on those paths. 





I messaged my friend, “Ah. I miss those paths.” And she quickly replied with, “The paths miss you.” Haha. I think what she really meant was….. I am missed and it made my heart smile. I miss a lot about various places we have lived over the years. I am often asked, “Of all the places you have lived, where is your favorite?” My response is usually, “I have favorite things about each one for different reasons. We made some great and not so great memories in each one of those homes. But each served a purpose in my journey. For that, I am thankful.” 


Don’t get me wrong, I’m grateful for where God has us now and this is my favorite by far. In fact, I thank Him every day that He would be so gracious to bring us back to Phoenix to live close to our family again! I pinch myself that I get to do this life. That I get to drive and pick up my grandkids for the day. Or jump in the car on a moments notice to meet up with my daughter to help pick out a Thanksgiving Day outfit or grab a cup of coffee.  I get to visit with our son while the kids play in the sandbox that Papa built for them. And we get to host our family around the table for many events including Thanksgiving this year. What a treat! Simple things, if I’m not careful, I will take for granted. 


As I was running yesterday with Jim the sun was up just enough to cast a shine onto the desert landscape along the path in our neighborhood. The mornings have been cool and crisp and I love it! I still have conversations with God on these paths. We don’t have big woodsy trees or fallen leaves that crunch under foot. Instead, we have blooming cactus, direct sunlight and an occasional lizard that scurries across before me. It’s beautiful none the less. It hit me once again…. My journey with God is constant. The path I am on and the destination has not changed nor will it. He has just blessed me with many views and amazing people along the way. 






I’m grateful and I pray I never take any of it for granted. 

Whatever your view looks like today, may your Thanksgiving be full of the many blessings God has to offer. 


Pressing On


“Give thanks to the Lord of Lords. His faithful love endures forever.”

Psalms 136:3 CSB




“give thanks in everything; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”

1 Thessalonians 5:18 CSB



 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cool Mornings and Coyotes

  This is the time of year we all sing praises for living in Arizona. Cool enough in the morning and evenings to call for a light jacket and/or patio heater while the perfect temp midday allows doors and windows to be open letting in the fresh air. Ah, Spring! It also makes for a great morning since the sun comes up a little earlier. Annie loves it too since I can once again, take her with me on an early morning run.   I’m still somewhat of a chicken to run in the dark alone even with her. But these crisp mornings have been great and sunrises are my favorite. So, off we went the other day just as the sun was rising.   We did our typical run through the neighbor that has become so familiar to not only me but Annie as well. She even has the same spots to relieve herself. She likes to lead and I like to let her think she is, but I do have her on somewhat of a short leash. Mostly, because she is stronger than I am and I really don’t want any more road rash than she’s been known to give

The Season of Spring

  The mornings are so beautiful right now that I want to soak them in before the scorching heat is in its full glory. The sun comes up shortly after I do this time of year. My favorite thing to do is grab my bible, journal and a cup of coffee and sit out back with Annie while the sun rises. The birds are literally singing, the quail make more of a squawk like sound than a song but I love it.   Occasionally, I will hear an owl on a neighboring rooftop or the party of a pack of coyotes in the distance celebrating their recent conquest. I’m always surprised that these sounds don’t faze Annie one bit. Make no mistake, if the trash truck or other large vehicle drives past our dividing wall she goes absolutely K-9, as if she’s military, saving us from being attacked. Bless her heart.   Spring typically comes early in Phoenix and is somewhat short lived. I often think we go from Winter to Summer with seemingly little time to wear any of the light weight sweaters I have hanging in my close

RBJ and a Barf Bag

  It’s been thirty years since I got breast implants. Having birthed and nursed two babies my boobs were left looking like tube socks sporting tennis balls in each one dangling from my chest. At twenty-eight years old, living in the world that put so much importance on outward appearance, I thought that I needed enhancement to feel better about myself. Looking back, maybe it did serve its purpose for a while. But, I was never truly comfortable with them. They were larger than I wanted and I’m fairly modest so I don’t like the attention I thought they brought in my younger years. Shopping for clothes, especially swimsuits has always been a challenge for me. All those cute summer dresses made me look pregnant and bras were very uncomfortable. I’m not anti-plastic surgery, implants or whatever. I’m just older and in a different stage in life and view things from a more Godly perspective now that I seek His ways for my life. I’ve known for several years that the implants in my body needed